A proposed boxing match between Floyd Mayweather and Conor McGregor has been the talk of the sports world for the last year. While both sides are interested in making the fight occur and UFC president Dana White is on board, the fight has yet to be signed. As each day passes without the fight being announced, the more likely it will not take place.
One person who agrees is former jr. middleweight and middleweight champion Canelo Alvarez who squares off against Mexican rival Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. on Saturday night from the sold-out T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas. Alvarez (48-1-1, 34 KOs) suffered the lone loss of his career to Mayweather in Sept. 2013 by majority decision chuckles when asked the question.
"(Laughs) I really doubt that fight is going to happen," Alvarez told Fightful.
Back at the end of 2016, when asked about Mayweather-McGregor, Alvarez's promoter Oscar De La Hoya flipped the script and told FightHub TV that the only fight to make is McGregor vs. Alvarez at middleweight. The biggest attraction in boxing dismissed his promoter's statement and isn't too interested in fighting the current UFC lightweight champion.
"At this point, I don’t really care about that fight," Alvarez stated. "I’m just focused on what’s going to happen on May 6th."
And Chavez Jr. is who he is focused on. Alvarez and Chavez. Jr is not only one of the biggest fights of the year, but also one of the biggest fights in the history of Mexican boxing. The 26-year-old feels if the fight plays out like he thinks it will then it should go down as one of the greatest Mexican fights of all-time.
"There have been a lot of great Mexican fights out there," Alvarez said. "I expect come May 6 when I go into the ring that it will be one of the biggest fights that Mexican boxing has ever seen. That’s what I’ve trained for and I hope to get out of it."
Fightful.com will have full Canelo vs. Cesar Chavez Jr. coverage, including a post-show podcast.
- From The Web