Now that August has appeared, attention to the Floyd Mayweather vs. Conor McGregor fight will soon reach a fever pitch. In the past week, we have been slowly learning what the undercard has been shaping up to be, but there is still no formal announcement. We do have an idea of what the co-main event will be, Gervonta Davis vs. Roman "Rocky" Martinez for the IBF's 130-pound title, but after that, not a whole lot has been leaked out there.
Mikey Garcia cemented his status as a top pound-for-pound boxing star with his victory over Adrien Broner. The entire Barclays Center card, was filled with several top boxers but none of the fights were memorable in the sense that they were competitive. That certainly did not stop the venue and Showtime, who broadcasted the fight card, from reaping the benefits of the card, which did not feature any world title matches.
In a bonus addition to this week's newsletter, we take look at the great career of Wladimir Klitschko, who had announced his retirement, just hours into the morning of August 3.
A pair of Japanese boxing greats in Takashi Miura and Takashi Uchiyama retire from the sport, the first Fightful Boxing Retrospective where I take a look at the Pernell Whitaker vs. Oscar De La Hoya fight from 1997 and more are covered in this week's edition of the Fightful Boxing Newsletter.
Fightful Boxing Newsletter (8/3) Table of Contents:
- The Latest in Mayweather vs. McGregor (Page 2)
- Takashi Miura and Takashi Uchiyama retire (Page 3)
- Adrien Broner vs. Mikey Garcia review (Page 4)
- Results from the world of boxing (Page 5)
- Official Fightful Rankings (Page 6-7)
- Other news in boxing (Page 8)
- Fightful Boxing Retrospective: Pernell Whitaker vs. Oscar De La Hoya (Page 9)
- Wladimir Klitschko announces his retirement from boxing (Page 10)
- From The Web