By Carlos Toro
- Tonight, HBO will have Sergey Kovalev defend his light heavyweight title against Isaac Chilemba from Russia. On fight day, Kovalev weighted in at 181.6 lbs. Chilemba was measured at 182.6 lbs. During the weight-ins on Sunday, Kovalev was at 174.5 lbs. and Chilemba was at 174.75 lbs.
- In addition to the Gennady Golovkin vs. Kell Brook fight on Sept. 10, IBF Flyweight World titleholder Johnriel Casimero (22-3, 14 KOs) will defend his belt against Charlie Edwards (7-0, 3 KOs). Edwards will have a tune-up fight against Jose Aguilar (16-25-4, 6 KOs) on July 16 in Berlin.
- Golovkin was officially presented with his World Boxing Council title belt by WBC President Mauricio Sulaiman in Mexico City on Saturday, July 9. You can check it out at this link.
See Also: Miguel Cotto Caught In Limbo Due To Manny Pacquiao - Bob Arum Reservation
- WBA junior middleweight champion Erislandy Lara recently spoke to Fighthype.com and voiced his displeasure at Golovkin not choosing him to be his next opponent, saying: “Actions speak louder than words. Triple G will fight a 147-pound guy, but wouldn’t fight me, whose six pounds away. As far as I’m concerned, Canelo and Triple G are twin brothers; typical business first and not old school throwback fighters.”
- IBF Heavyweight Champion Anthony Joshua said that he wants his next fight to be by November and does not want it to be against weak opponents. He told skysports.com that he wants his next opponent to “be a serious opponent.”
- WBC Heavyweight champion Deontay Wilder’s next fight will be against Chris Arreola (36-4-1, 31 KOs) on a Showtime Boxing card from Birmingham, Alabama on July 16.
- Golden Boy Promotions announced that on July 30, HBO Latino is going to be home to a couple of fights. Unbeaten junior welterweight Antonio Orozco (24-0, 16 KOs) will face off against Mexico’s Abner Lopez (25-5, 19 KOs).
- Also on that card will be featherweight Joseph Diaz (20-0, 11 KOs) going up against Victor Proa (28-1-2, 21 KOs).
- British heavyweight Dillian Whyte (17-1, 14 KOs) will be facing Dave Allen (9-0-1, 6 KOs) for the vacant WBC International Heavyweight title on July 30 during on the undercard of the Josh Warrington vs. Patrick Hyland card.
View the discussion thread.