Former world champion Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. is preparing for another comeback this summer.
Chavez had been out of action for nearly two years, but apparently is getting ready to fight in June and will start campaigning at light heavyweight. Although not officially announced, Chavez said his return fight could be against undefeated contender Mike Lee.
"I'm going to fight on June 22, I think in Mexico, but don't know if it's going to be in Merida, Yucatan, I still don't know. It looks like it will be against an American, Mike Lee, who is an unbeaten light heavyweight and a good rival and puncher... Logically, I'm not going to have a big fight or fight for a title next. I'll soon return, but I'm training well and working hard in the gym," Chavez said.
This is not the first time Chavez Jr., the son of legendary Mexican boxer Julio Cesar Chavez, has attempted to come back after his 2017 loss to Canelo Alvarez. Chavez was originally supposed to fight Alfredo Angulo last December but the fight was canceled after Chavez reportedly missed a commission-ordered medical appointment and PBC announced that he and his team didn't feel he was ready for the fight.
"The inactivity isn't much of an issue because I'm still young and and haven't been hit too hard," the younger Chavez said.
The 33-year-old Chavez held the WBC middleweight title from 2011 to 2012 when he lost to Sergio Martinez. Since that loss, Chavez has won four of his last six fights.
- From The Web