News And Notes From Around The World:
- Jermell Charlo will get his chance to re-capture the WBC junior middleweight title when he takes on Tony Harrison in a title rematch. The rematch between Harrison and Charlo for the WBC title is set for December 21 televised on FOX from the Toyota Arena in Ontario, California. The fight will take place nearly one year to the day Harrison defeated Charlo by unanimous decision in New York. No undercard info was announced for the rest of the show. The fight was originally set to take place on June 23 in Las Vegas, but Harrison suffered an inner and outer ankle sprain with torn ligaments in his right ankle weeks before the fight. The injuries prevented him from training for 10 weeks, leaving Charlo to take on Jorge Cota. Charlo ended up knocking out Cota in the third round.
- Top Rank Boxing announced that former WBO light heavyweight champion Eleider Alvarez will face Michael Seals on January 18, 2020 at Turning Stone Resort Casino in Verona, New York on ESPN+. The fight will be for the vacant WBC Continental Americas title and winner could eventually put himself in a position to challenge for Artur Beterbiev's WBC and IBF world titles. Alvarez was set to have a comeback fight this past summer to bounce back from his title loss against Sergey Kovalev back in February, but he suffered a torn ligament in his foot during training camp.
- This fight announcement is perhaps one of the most bizarre of this year. Queensberry Promotions announced that Daniel Dubois will fight Kyotaro Fujimoto for the WBC Silver and WBO International heavyweight titles on December 21 at the Copper Box Arena in London.
- A year after Matchroom Boxing announced it would be expanding further into the European market by going to Italy, the company is now heading to Spain. Matchroom Boxing, OPI Since 82 (the company that worked with Matchroom to help launch Matchroom Boxing Italy) and DAZN have revealed details on the new venture in Spain. The new company will officially launch on December 12 with its first show taking place at the Palau Olimpic Vall D'Hebron in Barcelona. The card will be streamed on DAZN in a similar manner to Matchroom Boxing Italy's shows.
As for the fights taking place on the card, these are the confirmed bouts for the maiden show for Matchroom Boxing Spain.
- Sandor Martin vs. Joe Hughes: EBU European welterweight title
- David Avanesyan vs. Jose Del Rio: EBU European welterweight title
- Jonathan Alonzo vs. Samuel Gonzalez
- Samuel Molina vs. Ivan Tomas: Spanish lightweight title
Back on November 8, 2018, Matchroom Boxing Italy was created with the aim of the company expanding onto the Italian boxing market. Matchroom Boxing Italy has done several shows that were streamed on DAZN since then featuring top Italian boxing talents.
- From The Web