Billy Joe Saunders has now become a two-division world champion with a one-sided beatdown over Shefat Isufi.
Saunders defeated Isufi to become the new WBO super middleweight champion in the main event of a boxing card that was streamed in the United States on ESPN+. Saunders won the fight by unanimous decision, winning with scores of 120-108, 117-111 and 118-110.
The fight saw Saunders dominate Isufi almost from the opening bell with Isufi rarely having moments where he appeared to have done some damage on Saunders. There was a moment in the middle rounds where Isufi traded with Saunders and it was Saunders who stumbled a bit from his opponent's punches. Beyond that, there was little that Isufi did to convince anyone he won the fight.
The unbeaten Saunders moved up in weight after vacating the WBO middleweight title last year due to a failed drug test. He returned to action last December, but then jumped on the opportunity to fight for the vacant title after Gilberto Ramirez appeared to have vacated the WBO 168-pound world title. After some confusion and weeks of Ramirez saying he never vacated his world title, the title eventually became vacant after Ramirez surrendered the belt to compete in the light heavyweight division.
Below are quick results of the May 18 Queensberry Promotions card from Lamex Stadium in Stevenage, England:
- Billy Joe Saunders defeated Shefat Isufi by unanimous decision (120-108, 117-111, 118-110) to become the WBO super middleweight champion
- Brad Foster defeated Ashley Lane by TKO, round 12 to become the Unified British and Commonwealth Super Bantamweight champion
- Joe Joyce defeated Alexander Ustinov by TKO, round 3
- Shaun Cooper defeated Boy Jones by majority decision (95-95, 96-94, 97-93) to become the WBO Youth Lightweight champion
- Balazs Bacskai defeated Davi Eliasquevici by points (80-70)
- Harvey Horn defeated Joel Sanchez by points (60-55)
- Willy Hutchinson defeated Ondrej Budera by TKO, round 3
- Connor Wright defeated Owen Jobburn by points (40-36)
- Lisa Whiteside defeated Dani Hodges by points (40-36)
- Graham Tirrell defeated Scott Hillman by points (40-36)
- Lee Hallett defeated Harley Benn by points (39-37)
- James Branch defeated Jan Hrazdira by TKO, round 2
- Dennis McCann defeated Kamil Jaworek by TKO, round 1
- From The Web