Vergil Ortiz Jr. ended 2019 with a lot of momentum and another signature win inside the distance.
In the main event of a Golden Boy Promotions card that was streamed on DAZN, Ortiz scored a fifth-round knockout victory over Brad Solomon, his 15th straight victory by knockout.
This year has been a big one for Ortiz, who is slowly emerging as a potential welterweight title contender. In the past seven months, Ortiz has defeated the likes of Solomon, Mauricio Herrera and Antonio Orozco. Ortiz entered the bout ranked in the top 10 by the WBO and WBC and is the current WBA Gold Champion.
Also on the card was former super featherweight world champion Alberto Machado moving up to lightweight, beating Luis Porozo at the end of the second round. This was Machado's first win after two consecutive losses to Andrew Cancio this year, both in WBA super featherweight title bouts. Other notable fighters to score wins on the undercard were top super middleweight contender Erik Bazinyan and prospects Luis Feliciano and Alexis Rocha.
Below are the full results of the December 13 Golden Boy Promotions card from the Fantasy Springs Casino in Indio, California. Highlights of the full card can be seen in the video at the top of the page:
- Vergil Ortiz Jr. defeated Brad Solomon by KO, round 5, 2:22 to retain the WBA Gold welterweight title
- Bektemir Melikuziev defeated Vaughn Alexander by unanimous decision (100-90, 100-90, 100-90) to win the WBA Continental Americas super middleweight title
- Alberto Machado defeated Luis Porozo by KO, round 2, 2:59
- Alexis Rocha defeated Roberto Valenzuela Jr. by RTD, round 5, 3:00 to retain the WBC Continental Americas welterweight title
- Luis Feliciano defeated Herbert Acevedo by unanimous decision (99-90, 100-89, 97-92) to retain the NABF junior welterweight title
- Serhii Bohachuk defeated Carlos Galvan by KO, round 5, 1:40
- Ferdinand Kerobyan defeated Fernando Carcamo by KO, round 1, 1:46
- Erik Bazinyan defeated 8Saul Roman by KO, round 3, 0:46
- From The Web