Jamal James may have become the next contender for a welterweight title opportunity after an action-packed main event on FS1.
Headlining a PBC on FS1 card from The Armory in Minneapolis, James threw nearly 900 punches in just 10 rounds to pick up a unanimous decision win against former world title challenger Antonio DeMarco. James won with all three judges scoring the bout 98-92 in favor of James.
DeMarco got the advantage early by hurting James in the second round, but not only was James able to recover, he was able to outwork his opponent. James utilized his jab and right uppercut to consistently push the offensive pressure on DeMarco. The seventh round did see both men trade big shots for nearly the entirety of the round, but it was DeMarco’s best chance to win the fight and was unable to. James outthrew DeMarco 855 to 496 in total punches and outlanded him 238 to 135.
Entering the fight, James was ranked No. 5 by the WBA and No. 11 by the WBC at welterweight and with PBC having a control of both titles, held by Keith Thurman and Shawn Porter, respectively, James could become a future challenger for either title down the road.
The rest of the undercard featured a number of heavyweight fights in action, including the return of former IBF titleholder Charles Martin and former WBC title challenger Gerald Washington.
Below are the full results of the July 13 PBC card from The Armory in Minneapolis:
- Jamal James defeated Antonio DeMarco by unanimous decision (98-92, 98-92, 98-92)
- Gerald Washington defeated Robert Helenius by KO, round 8, 2:32
- Charles Martin defeated Daniel Martz by TKO, round 4, 2:03
- Bryant Perrella defeated Domonique Dolton by TKO, round 3, 1:24
- Antonio Russell defeated Francisco Pedroza by unanimous decision (100-90, 100-90, 100-90)
- From The Web