On Veteran's Day, Jamel Herring got to give his fellow veterans and those currently in the armed forces a competitive world title fight.
In Herring's first defense of the WBO super featherweight title, he got a unanimous decision win over mandatory challenger Lamont Roach Jr., winning with scores of 117-111, 117-111 and 115-113. The fight headlined a Top Rank on ESPN+ from Chukchansi Park in Fresno, California.
The first half of the bout saw Herring outland and outwork Roach at times with the jab and body work, but Roach rocked the champion with a right hand in the seventh round. Roach didn't get many opportunities to land similar punches but did knock Herring off balance after a few solid hooks in the following round. Herring got retribution with a big right hand in the ninth round that dropped Roach to the canvas, but the referee ruled it a slip and so the knockdown was negated.
The co-main event saw Kubrat Pulev, the mandatory challenger to Andy Ruiz Jr.'s IBF heavyweight title, score a one-side victory on the scorecards over former title contender Rydell Booker. With the win, Pulev will now await the winner of Ruiz's rematch against Joshua taking place in December and look to secure a fight for the world title.
Below are full results of the entire event:
- Jamel Herring defeated Lamont Roach Jr. to retain the WBO super featherweight title by unanimous decision (117-111, 115-113, 117-111)
- Kubrat Pulev defeated Rydell Booker by unanimous decision (98-92, 99-91, 98-92)
- Janibek Alimkhanuly defeated Albert Onolunose to retain the WBC Continental Americas middleweight title by KO, round 6, 2:31
- Amir Imam defeated Marcos Mojica by KO, round 4, 0:56
- Robeisy Ramirez defeated Fernando Ibarra De Anda by KO, round 6, 1:37
- David Kaminsky defeated Travis Jerig by KO, round 2, 0:26
- Esquiva Falcao defeated Manny Woods by KO, round 3, 2:18
- Gabriel Flores Jr. defeated Aelio Mesquita by unanimous decision (80-72, 80-72, 80-72)
- From The Web