Welcome to Fightful's live coverage of Mikey Garcia vs. Sergey Lipinets for the IBF junior welterweight world championship. Garcia could become the 17th man in boxing history to win a world title in four weight classes as Lipinets makes his first title defense. We'll be bringing you quick results of the undercard and live, round-by-round coverage of the main card, which will be televised on Showtime.
Follow along the action on our Disqus board below:
Here is the main televised card (10:15 p.m. EST/Showtime):
- Mikey Garcia defeats Sergey Lipinets, unanimous decision (116-111, 117-110, 117-110) to win the IBF junior welterweight title
- Kiryl Relikh defeats Rances Barthelemy, unanimous decision (117-110, 118-109, 118-109) to win the WBA junior welterweight title
Here is the televised undercard (8:00 p.m. EST/ Showtime Extreme):
- Mario Barrios defeated Eudy Bernardo, TKO, round 2, 0:45: Super lightweight bout
- Richard Commey defeated Alejandro Luna, TKO, round 6, 1:54: IBF lightweight title eliminator
- Brandon Figueroa defeated Giovanni Delgado, TKO, round 7, 1:55: Super bantamweight bout
Here is the untelevised undercard:
- Alejandro Guerrero defeated Philip Apyaka via KO, round 1: Lightweight bout
- Luis Coria defeated Nery Garcia, unanimous decision (40-36, 40-36, 39-37): Featherweight bout
- Yulian Tembotov defeated Noe Lozano, unanimous decision (40-36, 50-36, 39-37): Welterweight bout
- Eimantas Stanionis defeated Hector Munoz, TKO, round 4, 1:53: Welterweight bout
- Efe Ajagba defeated Antonio Woods, KO, round 1, 1:14: Heavyweight bout
- Efetobor Apochi defeated Darrius Flowers, TKO, round 2, 2:13: Cruiserweight bout
- Robert Rodriguez defeated Giovanni Noriega, unanimous decision (40-35, 40-35, 40-35): Junior bantamweight bout
Richard Commey vs. Alejandro Luna: IBF lightweight title eliminator: The fight was a slugfest from the start. Commey attacked Luna's head while Luna tried to put pressure by landing numerous body shots. Commey was Luna's toughest opponent to date, but Luna managed to stay busy and even won a couple of rounds from his body work. Commey was at his most vulnerable when his back was at the ropes, leaving Luna to land a lot of body punches. Commey took the fight in the middle of the ring where he got a clean knockdown in the sixth round. Luna managed to get right back up but he spit out his mouthpiece and lost a point. Commey went right on the attack, landing another flurry of strong right hands and knocks out Luna. Commey is now in the conversation for an IBF lightweight title fight against Robert Easter Jr.
Official result: Richard Commey defeated Alejandro Luna, TKO, round 6, 1:54
Mario Barrios vs. Eudy Bernardo: Super lightweight bout: Barrios establishes a heavy right jab from the start and Bernardo was nothing more tha a moving target in the first round. Barrios missed a left hook in the second round but then connected with a mean right jab that knocked down Bernardo. Although Bernardo got back up, his legs were wobbly and never really recovered. The referee stopped the fight right then and there.
Official result: Mario Barrios defeated Eudy Bernardo, TKO, round 2, 0:45
Brandon Figueroa vs. Giovanni Delgado: Super bantamweight bout: Figueroa was in control throughout most of the bout, throwing an extremely high number of punches. Delgado proved he has an incredible chin by not going down once in the fight, but he started with a only a few punches being thrown in the first couple of rounds. It wasn't until the third round where Delgado managed to land a strong counter left hook in the third round, but he never truly hurt Figueroa. Delgado described his style as a brawler, but he looked more awkward than a brawler. There was no chance Delgado was winning this fight and the bout took far longer than it should have. Delgado's corner was not overly concerned with their fighter's safety, otherwise they would have stopped the fight far sooner.
Official result: Brandon Figueroa defeated Giovanni Delgado, TKO, round 7, 1:55
- From The Web