WBC welterweight champion Shawn Porter had to pay a price to keep his world title at the scales: his hair.
At the weigh-ins for his Fox main event fight against Yordenis Ugas on March 9, Porter came in nearly two pounds over the welterweight limit of 147 pounds. After struggling to get to 147 pounds within the two-hour window after missing weight the first time, Porter had some of his hair cut in order to make weight. Fortunately for Porter, the hair loss was not in vain as he did in fact make weight, keeping his title for at least another day.
— Mauricio Sulaiman (@wbcmoro) March 8, 2019
Below are the official weights for the main card, set to be televised on Fox:
WBC Welterweight Title bout (147-pound limit):
- Shawn Porter: 146.8 lbs.
- Yordenis Ugas: 146.5 lbs.
- Abel Ramos: 146.5 lbs.
- Francisco Santana: 146.5 lbs.
- Efe Ajagba: 240 lbs.
- Amir Mansour: 225 lbs.
Lightweight bout (Fox swing bout):
- Rolando Romero: 135.4 lbs.
- Nicolas Velazquez: 135.2 lbs.
Below are the official weights for the undercard, set to be televised on Fox Sports 1:
- Damien Vazquez: 117.6 lbs.
- Juan Carlos Payano: 117.8 lbs.
- Eimantas Stanionis: 149.2 lbs.
- Samuel Figueroa: 149.4 lbs.
Featherweight bout (Fox Sports 1 swing bout):
- Isaac Avelar: 124.6 lbs.
- Juan Antonio Lopez: 124.8 lbs.
Below are the official weights for the untelevised undercard:
- David Gomez: 133.6 lbs.
- George Carranza: 133.6 lbs.
Junior welterweight bout:
- Ruben Rodriguez: 139.8 lbs.
- Jeremiah De Los Santos: 138.6 lbs.
- Jose Perez: 125.2 lbs.
- Carlos Trevino: 124.4 lbs.
- Robert Guerrero: 146.6 lbs.
- Hevinson Herrera: 144.2 lbs.
- Jesus Cuellar: 131.8 lbs.
- Carlos Padilla: 133.8 lbs.
Junior Welterweight bout:
- Justin Cardona: 137.2 lbs.
- Naseem Asad: 137 lbs.
Super Featherweight bout:
- Viktor Slavinskyi: 128 lbs.
- Luis May: 128.8 lbs.
Fightful got to speak to Porter about the fight a few weeks back and that interview can be seen in its entirety in the video at the top of the page.
- From The Web