WBO super bantamweight champion Jessie Magdaleno's upcoming title defense is now postpone due to an injury he suffered a month before his fight.
Magdaleno injured his wrist weeks before he was set to defend his title against Cesar Juarez on November 11 at the Save Mart Center in Fresno, California. That fight was going to headline a Top Rank Boxing on ESPN card.
Top Rank president Todd duBoef confirmed the injury to ESPN, but said the card will move on as planned.
"I'm disappointed for Jessie Magdaleno, I'm disappointed for Cesar Juarez and I'm disappointed for the fight fans who wanted to see this fight," duBoef said. "We'll reschedule the fight and probably see it after the first of the year. It's not the end of the world. It happens. It's part of the business and you have to accept it."
the other two matches that were being planned for the ESPN card is Artur Beterbiev vs. Enrico Koelling for the vacant IBF light heavyweight title and Jose Carlos Ramirez vs. Mike Reed for the WBC Continental Americas super lightweight title.
While Juarez's opponent might be out of the card, there is a possibility that Juarez could still fight soon. Even though it may not be against Jessie Magdaleno, Juarez could fight Marlon Tapales for an interim title while Magdaleno recovers. Sean Gibbons, Juarez's representative spoke with WBO president Francisco Valcarcel and said there is a possibility of that plan moving forward, but that nothing was set in stone.
Magdaleno won the title WBO last year when he beat Nonito Donaire, but has only defended it once, beating Adeilson Dos Santos via second round KO in April.
View the discussion thread.