Lee Selby's Next Title Defense To Be On Eubank vs. Abraham Card

IBF featherweight champion Lee Selby will finally get his hands on Jonathan Victor Barros when the two of them meet in a fight more than half a year in the making.

Selby will defend his title against Barros on the undercard of Chris Eubank Jr. vs. Arthur Abraham card on July 15. The two were supposed to have fought on the undercard of Carl Frampton vs. Leo Santa Cruz 2 back in January, but the fight was called off the day before the fight due to Barros not meeting, what the Nevada Athletic Commission said, their licensing requirements. 

Selby said he is thrilled to finally fight Barros after leaving him high and dry back in January. The two of them were ordered by the IBF to fight at some point this summer, with negotiations ending in a purse bid that culminated in April.

"Barros is going to pay, simple as that," Selby said. "I was mucked around last time because he and his team couldn’t get their act together and this time, all I can say is, I can’t wait. I am absolutely thrilled to be fighting him at last, on a huge bill in London and with the stage set for me. I have been a worthy IBF world champion and beating a tough customer like Barros will put me in the hot seat for a fight with Carl Frampton or Scott Quigg, or any of the other world champions. Either of those Brits would suit me down to earth. But first it is Barros and I’m determined to make him pay. I don’t need any motivation for this one. I was there in Las Vegas ready to fight and through no fault of my own it didn’t happen. It is now and Barros will be taken apart."

The 30-year-old champion last fought Andoni Gago back in March. Selby won the title back in 2015 with a technical decision over Evgeny Gradovich. Barros, a former featherweight champion in his own right, is on a seven-fight win streak. His last win came last year against Satoshi Hosono via split decision.

From The Web