Luis Henrique Says Surgery Cost Him UFC 208 Spot

Luis Henrique was preparing to fight Marcin Tybura in a heavyweight division fight at UFC 208 this weekend.

However, the New York State Athletic Commission (NYSAC) pulled Henrique from the card due to concerns for his safety, stemming from an eye surgery he had last year to correct nearsightedness.

“The athletic commission surprised me by saying I couldn’t fight due to my surgery,” Henrique said to MMA Junkie. “They claimed that because of the type of incision, and the way it heals, it could come out of place. I asked my doctor, and she said that’s impossible. There’s no way.”

Henrique has already competed three times under the UFC banner, this fight would’ve been his MMA debut in the state of New York. This comes as shocking news to the heavyweight contender, who is under the impression that nothing out of the ordinary happened during his surgery.

“My doctor told me this procedure is very, very common,” he said. “I was very nearsighted. I waited my entire life for the surgery. I waited until my prescription stabilized so I could have it done. So when the opportunity came up for me to do it, I went ahead. I had it done right after facing Francis Ngannou.”

UFC 208 takes place on Saturday, February 11 from the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York with Holly Holm and Germaine De Randamie headlining.

Around The Web