Jose Aldo, who has expressed a desire to leave the UFC, met with Dana White and Sean Shelby on Wednesday regarding his future in the promotion.
Aldo shared an update on his status with MMA Junkie following the meeting.
In late September, Aldo, the former UFC Featherweight Champion, expressed a desire to be released from his contract after Eddie Alvarez was chosen to get the next shot at Conor McGregor, who defeated Aldo for the title earlier this year.
Speaking to MMA Junkie, Aldo described the meeting with White as "a great conversation. I can only thank the UFC for all they’ve done for me and Dana for the patience. I always had my mind made up. When I said something, it was never a bluff. I have an idea in my head and it’s what I always wanted. So … it’s what we talked about. There was no offer, nothing to think. I just gave my point of view. The esteem that I have for them and that they have for me is cool, but I think we need to go our own ways.”
Aldo added that he had discussed his contract status with his family.
"These are things that pertain to me, and that’s a conversation that we had in there. It stays between us," he said. "I think the fans and media need to know this was a first conversation, and I can only thank Dana and everyone in the UFC because the conversation was great… I didn’t come only for the contract cancelation. We had a lot to say, and that’s what happened. I think I’m going my way, and the UFC is going theirs, and the future will tell."
While Aldo is still under contract, don't expect this issue to end up being decided in court.
"I'm not that kind of person," he said, when asked about pursuing legal action to obtain his release. However, he did say that he may not be leaving the sport altogether.
“I've been rethinking my retirement from MMA,” Aldo wrote on Twitter this weekend. “I talked to my family, and, after seeing all the requests from my fans, there will be some good stuff coming for you guys. Thanks Russia.”
- From The Web