Georges St-Pierre is a free agent.
St-Pierre appeared on Ariel Helwani's MMA Hour Monday and dropped the bombshell news that his contract with the UFC had been terminated.
"What we asked for is really reasonable. I think we were close to an agreement on both sides. We were told everything was put on ice until the new owners took charge. We waited weeks... and were told that Lorenzo's offer was off the table. I got angry. (My lawyer) gave them a deadline to give me a fight. I wanted to fight," said GSP.
GSP stated that Robbie Lawler was offered to him, but he knew Robbie Lawler had already withdrawn from UFC 205. St-Pierre's lawyer then informed him that he is a free agent. St-Pierre said that the amount of money he was asking for was much less than many, including Forbes, had suggested.
"For me, it's not emotional, it's purely business. I don't dislike the UFC. They do what's best for their business. Dana White is the best promoter in the world. We wouldn't be making a living in the sport if not for him. Unfortunately in this, he's against me," said St-Pierre.
The former UFC Welterweight Champion says that he retired both healthy and wealthy, and that gave him leverage. He noted that when your employees are starving, they're easier to control. St-Pierre wanted to fight in Toronto, and expressed that he, the UFC and the fans were all losers in the deal. However, he thinks that the blueprint he drew up, allowed leverage for other fighters, as the UFC saw one of their best walk away.
"I know a lot of things are happening, but there are certain things I can't comment on," GSP said when asked if he'd been contacted by other promotions.
St-Pierre also debunked the idea that he asked for $10 million for a return fight. He said that anything is possible, including fighting for the UFC again.
Fightful.com will keep you updated on this situation.
- From The Web