Here's your fight-size boxing update for January 22, 2020:
- According to Chris Mannix, Canelo Alvarez and Ryota Murata are in serious talks over a potential fight in the spring in Japan. The fight is not set in stone, but Alvarez has publicly admitted in the past that he would like to fight in Japan down the road.
Representatives for Canelo Alvarez and Ryota Murata are engaged in serious talks to stage a Canelo-Murata fight in Japan in the spring, sources tell @SInow. Murata holds a secondary middleweight title. Canelo has been vocal with his desire to fight in Japan someday.— Chris Mannix (@SIChrisMannix) January 22, 2020
Murata is one of three candidates being discussed for Canelo’s next fight. But Murata is enormously popular in Japan—a Canelo fight could draw a crowd of 50,000-plus in a Tokyo Dome-like venue.— Chris Mannix (@SIChrisMannix) January 22, 2020
- Below are the viewership numbers and ratings for both the PBC on FOX and Top Rank on ESPN cards that took place on January 18:
- PBC on FOX (Julian Williams vs. Jeison Rosario): 1.302 million viewers/0.3 rating in the 18-49 demographic
- Top Rank on ESPN (Eleider Alvarez vs. Michael Seals): 704,000 viewers/0.26 rating in the 18-49 demographic
- WBO minimumweight world champion Wilfredo Mendez will defend his title against Gabriel Mendoza February 8 in Panama City, Panama on a card billed as the WBO Tournament of Champions. Orlando Peñalba vs. Keiver Fernandez for the vacant WBO Latino super flyweight belt is on the undercard.
- Prior to the Showtime Boxing TV card on January 25, there will be undercard fights streamed on Showtime Sports' YouTube channel and Showtime Boxing's Facebook page:
- Patrick Harris vs. Clay Burns
- Keeshawn Williams vs. Gaku Takahashi
- Lorenzo Simpson vs. Antonio Louis Hernandez
- Thomas Mattice will face Isaac Cruz Gonzalez in the main event of ShoBox: The New Generation on February 14 on Showtime from the 2300 Arena in Philadelphia. Raeese Aleem vs. Adam Lopez, Montana Love vs. Jerrico Walton and Derrick Colemon Jr. vs. Joseph Jackson on the TV card as well.
- The WBO has officially ordered a cruiserweight title eliminator between Dilan Prasovic and Edin Puhalo. Parties have 15 days from today to negotiate a deal or else a purse bid will be issues. The minimum bid would be $300,000.
- Below is the latest episode of "Born Fighter" that highlights unified super bantamweight champion Daniel Roman.
- Welterweight Steve Gago will return to action on March 6 against Geisler AP on a Dragon Fire Boxing card in Australia.