Canelo Alvarez and Sergey Kovalev made weight for their light heavyweight title bout, but there was some drama at the scales.
Originally, Kovalev came in just over the 175-pound limit for the fight and was given an hour to lose the excess weight. Kovalev needed just a few more minutes to successfully drop the weight and keep his WBO title for at least one more night. As for Alvarez, he came in at 174.5 pounds for his light heavyweight pro debut.
The card will also feature rising contenders such as Ryan Garcia, Blair Cobbs, Seniesa Estrada and Marlen Esparza. All of them successfully made weight for their respective title bouts on the undercard.
Below are the official weights for the entire Canelo Alvarez vs. Sergey Kovalev card, which will be streamed on DAZN:
- WBO Light Heavyweight title (175-pound limit): Canelo Alvarez (174.5 lbs) vs. Sergey Kovalev (175 lbs*)
- WBC Silver & NABO Lightweight titles (135-pound limit): Ryan Garcia (135 lbs) vs. Romero Duno (135 lbs)
- Interim WBA Female Flyweight title (112-pound limit): Seniesa Estrada (110.5 lbs) vs. Marlen Esparza (111 lbs)
- NABF Welterweight title (147-pound limit): Blair Cobbs (147 lbs) vs. Carlos Ortiz (146 lbs)
- Middleweight bout: Evan Holyfield (154 lbs) vs. Nick Winstead (156 lbs)
- IBF Junior Middleweight title eliminator (154-pound limit): Bakhram Murtazaliev (154 lbs) vs. Jorge Fortea (153.5 lbs)
- Cruiserweight bout: Tristan Kalkreuth (188 lbs) vs. Twon Smith (188.5 lbs)
- WBC-USNBC Middleweight title (160-pound limit): Meiirim Nursultanov (160 lbs) vs. Cristian Olivas (160 lbs)
- Light Heavyweight bout: Bektemir Melikuziev (174.5 lbs) vs. Clay Collard (171.5 lbs)
Fightful will have live coverage of the entire card.
*Kovalev came in at 175.25 lbs but later shed the excess weight within the one-hour window aloted to him in order for him to keep the WBO title.