Carlos Condit Wants A Title Shot

After his split-decision loss to then-welterweight champion Robbie Lawler at UFC 195 in January, Carlos Condit said the only way he would come back to fight would be if it was a title fight.

Lawler didn't make his next title defense against Condit, and instead the UFC booked him in a fight against Tyron Woodley at July's UFC 201, where he lost the belt by first-round knockout. Condit had to make a decision whether he would stick to his original plan. He didn't, as Condit was booked to face Demian Maia at last Saturday's UFC 202. Last month, the UFC shifted the fight to the main event of UFC on Fox 21.

Maia has won five consecutive fights, and a victory over Condit would solidify a top spot in the welterweight division and a possible title shot. The former interim 170-pound titleholder feels a win over the Brazilian should net him another opportunity at the world title.

“I do," Condit said on Wednesday's episode of UFC Tonight. "I felt like I deserved it after the Lawler fight. To beat a guy who’s on a run like Maia has been on, would get me the shot.”

Condit is one of the best strikers in the UFC, and Maia possesses the best Brazilian Ji-Jitsu not only in the UFC, but perhaps the entire world. Condit knows what he needs to do to dethrone Maia and come out the victor.

“I need to use my reach, range and my footwork," Condit said. "I need to fight smart and create opportunities when I can and capitalize on them.”

UFC on Fox 21 takes place on Saturday from the Rogers Arena in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.

From The Web