After months of speculation, former UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Chuck Liddell has announced that he is coming out of retirement.
The UFC veteran also stated that he would like to fight former UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Tito Ortiz for a third time this November under the Golden Boy MMA banner.
“It’s going to happen (third bout with Ortiz),” Liddell said on The MMA Hour.
If Liddell does return to action this November, it would mark his first bout since a loss to former UFC Middleweight Champion Rich Franklin at UFC 115 in June of 2010. Ortiz also recently announced he was coming out of retirement, with his last bout being a win over Chael Sonnen at Bellator 170 last year.
Liddell has a plan outside of just a third bout with Ortiz, with the end game being a fight with former UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Jon Jones.
“To be honest, in my mind, I’d like to fight two good warm-up fights then I’d like a shot at Jon Jones. I’m serious. I’d like a shot at him,” says Liddell.
Jones is still under a contract with the UFC at the moment, making a potential bout with Liddell seemingly out of reach for the time being.
Despite that being the case, it didn't stop Jones from responding to what Liddell said through Twitter:
Old Chuck has been calling me out for years! I get it, I hold pretty much every record in the division. I normally try to respect my elders but if you want it come get it. Id literally fly you out to Albuquerque this weekend.— Jon Bones Jones (@JonnyBones) May 14, 2018
You might want to test the strength of that jaw before you take a bite you cant chew— Jon Bones Jones (@JonnyBones) May 14, 2018
Ortiz will look to score his first ever win over Liddell this November, as Liddell won the first two meetings between them at UFC 47 and UFC 66.