Danny Garcia and Shawn Porter appear to finally be getting their grudge match for the WBC welterweight title.
The two former world champions were supposed to have a purse bid on May 25, but WBC President Mauricio Sulaiman said he was told by promoter Tom Brown a fight deal was negotiated and thus the purse bid was canceled very shortly before it began.
No date and venue has been officially announced, but it is likely the fight will take place on August 25 at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York in a Showtime-televised bout. There is also a chance the fight gets done sometime in September.
The two were ordered last month to fight for the WBC title after Keith Thurman vacated the belt. Thurman, who also holds the WBA welterweight title, was getting ready to fight in May in his first fight after elbow surgery but suffered another injury that would postpone his return.
Both Garcia and Porter are mandatory challengers after they each won title eliminators. Porter was the first mandatory challenger after defeating Andre Berto last year. Porter has not fought since late last year when he defeated Adrian Granados in Brooklyn to win the WBC Silver welterweight title. Sulaiman wanted to pit Garcia and Porter in an interim WBC welterweight title fight but it never materialized. Instead, Garcia won his title eliminator against Brandon Rios and would have been Thurman's mandatory after Porter gets his title shot.