Deontay Wilder has revealed who his next opponent is on Twitter and it will be against an old foe.
The WBC heavyweight champion said he and former title challenger Luis Ortiz have agreed to terms on a rematch from their March 2018 slugfest that saw Wilder win by 10th-round TKO. No date, venue or broadcast platform was announced, with more details set to be unveiled in the future.
Wilder v Ortiz II ----------— Deontay Wilder (@BronzeBomber) May 28, 2019
To all my fans,
I want to announce that Luis Ortiz and I have signed for a rematch, with the date and site to be announced shortly.
All my controversial fights
Must get dealt with ASAP#BombZquad pic.twitter.com/RZs7vLEhaj
According to Lance Pugmire, the fight could potentially land in Los Angeles at the Staples Center on September 7, though nothing is set in stone. The possible date and venue comes from Pugmire's conversations with unnamed boxers who are also reportedly planned to fight on that card and from Staples Center officials who confirmed to Pugmire that PBC does have a hold for September 7 at the venue.
Wilder has held the WBC heavyweight title since 2015 when he won a 12-round decision against Bermane Stiverne. Wilder would go on to successfully defend his title nine times which include fights against Tyson Fury, a rematch against Stiverne and most recently, against Dominic Breazeale.
Ever since he lost the fight against Wilder last year, Ortiz returned to action this past July when he knocked out Razvan Cojanu in three rounds. Ortiz then knocked out Travis Kauffman in the 10th round of their fight last December and is coming off a unanimous decision win against Christian Hammer back in March in Brooklyn, New York.
After Wilder knocked Breazeale out in the first round of their fight on May 18, Ortiz entered the ring to confront Wilder about a potential rematch. In the post-fight press conference, Wilder's co-manager Shelly Finkel said Ortiz is on the short list of fighters that could fight Wilder next.