Eduard Gutknecht, who had been in an artificial coma resulting from his most recent fight against George Groves, is being moved from a London hospital to Germany.
Promoter Wiking-Boxteam said in a statement that Gutknecht is still in a coma, and that doctors said Gutknecht’s “organs are working properly.”
"The entire Wiking-Boxteam fights and hopes for Eddy," the statement said. "The condition of Eddy is currently stable. He is in a coma but is no longer in the acute ICU. His family is always at his side in the hospital. Eddy is currently being moved to Germany. Our thoughts are with him and wish him a full recovery."
Gutknecht is currently suffering from brain damage after his loss to Groves back on November 18. He reportedly did not show any ill signs at the fight, but once he got to the dressing room afterwards, his condition got severe and had to be taken to a hospital. The 34-year-old boxer had brain surgery shortly after.
"We have to be patient. Forecasts and assumptions can go in all directions," the statement said. "It is very difficult for the family with this situation. The entire Wiking-Boxteam suffers with Eddy and is affected. But we also know that we are talking about boxing and like all high-performance sports, in addition to the joy of competition and the ceremony at the victory, unfortunately, always the risk of injury is present.
Gutknecht is a former regional and intercontinental champion at super middleweight and light heavyweight. Before the loss to Groves, Gutknecht challenged Jürgen Brähmer back in March for the WBA "regular" light heavyweight title. Gutknecht also lost that fight via unanimous decision.
- From The Web