EXCLUSIVE: Jose "Shorty" Torres Talks UFC Signing, Says Jarred Brooks May Have Tried To Back Out

It's not often you can say a 25 year old fighter who has been a pro for two years is overdue being signed by the UFC, but Jose "Shorty" Torres was that before this week.

Torres will replace the injured Hector Sandoval against Jarred Brooks at UFC Utica on June 1. When speaking to Fightful.com, Torres revealed that he actually first saw the news on social media.

"People found out before I did. There were all these social media posts. I was like 'did I get signed to the UFC? I didn't sign any paper work.' I get a call from my manager -- awesome, I'm in the UFC. It's awesome. It's one of those things I've worked so hard for. I'm just happy. It's overwhelming. It's an awesome feeling. I'm always working my social media on my phone. I just got finished sparring, coming to the idea of fighting Jarred Brooks, and it came to fruition," Torres said.

Torres has been one of the hottest prospects in all of MMA, as he's the current Titan FC Flyweight and Bantamweight champion. He's told us in the past that he's campaigned so hard to get into the UFC that he actually ended up getting blocked by UFC matchmaker Mick Maynard. The Chicago-based Torres had hoped to get on UFC's card in the city next month, but when that didn't happen, he had plans of becoming a triple Titan FC champion

"I was getting ready to possibly fight for the 145 pound title for Titan FC. I was thinking the UFC didn't want me, all these other promotions didn't want me, let me figure something out. I don't want to fight a bum. Let me fight Jason Soares. TUF Veteran, 1--0. Sadly, he turned down the fight. I'm really heavy for no reason, and Mick Maynard calls and says 'you're the flyweight we want. You take the fight or we're scrapping the fight.' It's nine days' notice, but so be it," said Torres.

Despite the issues getting into the UFC, it wasn't the first offer. According to Torres, the company actually made him eight offers that he had to reject for various reasons. He also seems to thing that Brooks' hand was forced by the UFC, or else the fight wouldn't happen.

"I'm happy I have all these credentials, and the UFC isn't that interested in flyweights because of problems in the division, but I had been called 8 times. I don't want to be that person who keeps denying or because of injury. I'm happy I was finally able to say yes," Torres said. "From what I hear -- this is just rumors, he took the fight, then backed out. I'm waiting for my contract. When he says he got threatened, I'm pretty sure he got threatened pretty well from the UFC, because the fight's happening."

In the full interview, Jose "Shorty" Torres (7-0) discusses his upcoming UFC debut against Jarred Brooks (13-1) at UFC Fight Night 131 on June 1.

From The Web