With the Canelo Alvarez vs. Gennady Golovkin rematch being announced, there has not been much chatter regarding the undercard, but a recent interview with the Nicaraguan media has opened the possibility of Roman "Chocolatito" Gonzalez fighting on the undercard in his first fight since losing his WBC super flyweight title rematch to Srisaket Sor Rungvisai. The plan is to have Chocolatito return to the ring in May in a couple of tune up fights before gunning for a world title, likely the WBA super flyweight title held by Khalid Yafai.
Speaking of the WBA, the governing body has made a few resolutions regarding a few of their world titles, including the "regular" heavyweight title fight between Manuel Charr and Fres Oquendo. That title has been in boxing limbo, but the Oquendo/WBA saga seems to finally be over within a few months.
In terms of actual boxing action, this past weekend only had two noteworthy fights: Roy Jones Jr.'s retirement fight that ended up being one of the worst main events in recent memory (perhaps worse than the Lawrence Okolie vs. Isaac Chamberlain bout from a couple of weeks ago) and Miguel Berchelt defending his WBC junior lightweight title against an unknown fighter in Maxwell Awuku who had less than two weeks to truly prepare for the bout as he was a last-minute option after a couple of other names were not able to fight for one reason or another.
All this plus more news is covered on this week's edition of the Fightful Boxing Newsletter.
Fightful Boxing Newsletter (2/15) Table Of Contents:
- Examining Chocolatito's Return Date And Possible Opponent (Page 2)
- Latest On WBA Title Fights (Page 3)
- A Look At Deontay Wilder's Potential 49-0 Record; Where Would He Rank All-Time? (Page 4)
- Adrien Broner, Omar Figueroa Jr. Arrested In Separate Incidents (Page 5)
- Weekend Review (Page 6)
- Results From The World Of Boxing (Page 7)
- Fightful Boxing Rankings (Pages 8-9)
- News And Notes From Around The World Of Boxing (Page 10)
- Weekend Preview (Page 11)
- From The Web