Other news in boxing
1. Gennady Golovkin was well within the mandated weight limit at his WBC 30-day weight check on August 16. He weighed 170 pounds though he could have been as heavy as 176 pounds for the weight check in advance of his long-awaited showdown with Canelo Alvarez on September 16 at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas. Alvarez did not participate in the 30-day weight check because he has declined to box for the WBC title, though Golovkin is defending it along with his two other major 160-pound title belts, the WBA and WBO middleweight titles.
2. Speaking of Canelo vs. Golovkin, Golden Boy Promotions hoped to match Joseph Diaz Jr. and Josh Warrington in a featherweight world title eliminator on the HBO PPV undercard on Sept. 16 at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas. However, Golden Boy told ESPN that Warrington and promoter Frank Warren pulled out of the scheduled purse bid and won’t go through with the fight. Golden Boy said it is now going down the WBC’s rankings to find an opponent willing to face Diaz in the eliminator that would move the winner toward a mandatory shot at world titlist Gary Russell Jr.
3. World Boxing Super Series officials announced that former world titleholder Krzysztof Glowacki and Mateusz Masternak have been named as reserves for the eight-man cruiserweight tournament. Assuming they are not needed to act as reserves, they will fight on the undercards of the quarterfinal they are assigned to. Glowacki, who lost his belt to tournament No. 1 seed Oleksandr Usyk, is the reserve for the Mairis Briedis-Mike Perez title fight on September 30 in Riga, Latvia. If one of the fighters is unable to fight that night, Glowacki will step in as the replacement. Former European champion Masternak is the reserve for the Murat Gassiev-Krzysztof Wlodarczyk title fight. The date and venue of that bout has not yet been announced.
4. David Price is returning on the undercard of the World Boxing Super Series card headlined by the super middleweight quarterfinal between Callum Smith and Erik Skoglund on Sept. 16 at Echo Arena in Liverpool, England, Price’s hometown. Price will face journeyman Raphael Zumbano Love, whose list of boxers he's faced include Anthony Joshua, Andy Ruiz Jr., Charles Martin and Shannon Briggs.
5. With Bryant Jennings returning to the ring, Top Rank's Bob Arum already has big plns for the heavyweight. Arum said he is trying to secure a fight between him and WBO heavyweight champion Joseph Parker, perhaps for an ESPN card in 2018. Parker does need to defeat mandatory challenger Hughie Fury, Tyson Fury's cousin, on September 23 before there is any talks of a Parker-Jennings occur. Arum said he is confident he could make that fight happen should the right pieces fall into place.
- From The Web