Sergio Mora will have a chance at redemption when he faces off against Daniel Jacobs for Jacobs' WBA (Regular) Middleweight title on September 9.
The bout is a rematch from their first encounter last year when both fighters knocked each other down in the first round in what was considered to be one of the best stanzas of the year. The second round, however, ended in unfortunate circumstances when Mora fell to the canvas awkwardly and his full weight landed on his ankle, breaking it. Jacobs was awarded the TKO victory and Mora had not fought since their first encounter.
On the August 30 conference call promoting the fight, Mora told Fightful about wanting to originally have his TKO loss changed into a no contest and having a second opportunity to win Jacobs' middleweight title.
"That blemish on my career is, it's already there," Mora said. "I tried to contest it with the New York Commission. But, it got me nowhere. The New York Commission is a mess as we're all finding out when it comes to the fights and boxing and MMA and everything else. So, I went that route. It didn't go anywhere. So, I'm going to have that TKO on my record for the rest of my career and the rest of my life. And it's sad because I don't want it to be on a technicality. So, does it irk me? Absolutely. But, am I past it? Yes. I just want an opportunity to clear whatever happened."
Mora is adamant that he was only knocked down once, and the knockout in the second round was not really a knockout because he feels that Jacobs did not hit him and made him drop down on his ankle.
"Jacobs said that he dropped me twice," Mora said. "I only fell once. I dropped him once. Round of the year, [awarded by] Sports Illustrated. Second round, I feel I was in control and winning. With 5 or 10 seconds left, the injury happens, and I bust my ankle. So, there's a lot of unanswered questions. And for whatever reason this fight is happening again, I'm fully prepared for whatever comes. I just want my opportunity and I'm thankful that I got it."
Their fight will main event a Spike televised card on September 9. The co-main event will feature Robert Easter Jr. against Richard Commey for the vacant IBF Lightweight Title.