Your Fight-size boxing news update for July 16!
- Undefeated light welterweight prospect Sergey Lipinets (10-0, 8 KOs) defeated 27-year-old Walter Castillo (26-4-1, 19 KOs) via 7th round knockout on Friday night on Premier Boxing Champions on ESPN at theHorseshoe Tunica Hotel & Casino in Tunica, Mississippi.
- Keith Thurman's next opponent will be interim WBA 147 pound champion David Avanesyan (22-1-1, 11 KOs), as mandated by the WBA. Thurman is trying to get Manny Pacquiao to be his next opponent, tweeting the following: "If everyone else don’t want it, we can dance! Let’s give the fans a real prizefight?"
- Speaking of WBA issuing challengers, at junior middleweight, titlist Jack Culcay (22-1, 11 KOs), of Germany, was also ordered to face mandatory challenger Demetrius Andrade (23-0, 16 KOs), of Providence, Rhode Island, who previously held a 154-pound belt from another organization.
- The Undefeated has an article on Deontay Wilder defending his undefeated streak tonight and about his daughter, who was born with a birth defect.
- Kell Brook (36-0, 25 KOs) won’t have the chance of fighting for unbeaten Gennady “GGG” Golovkin’s (35-0, 32 KOs) WBA middleweight title because the World Boxing Association won’t be sanctioning the September 10th fight as a title match-up due to the 30-year-old Brook never having fought at middleweight during his career. Golovkin would have to request the WBA for permission to make it a title fight.
- Viktor Postol (28-0, 12 KOs) had a Q&A session where he and trainer Freddie Roach talk about Postol's upcoming July 23 light welterweight unification fight against Terence Crawford (28-0,20 KOs). You can check out the full transcript here.
By Carlos Toro