This is your fight-size boxing update for August 26!
* Welterweights Bryant Perrella (14-0, 13 KO) and Yordenis Ugas (16-3, 7 KO) will meet in the scheduled 10-round main event of a Premier Boxing Champions card on September 27. That card will be broadcasted on Fox Sports 1 and Fox Deportes and it will be held at the Buffalo Thunder Resort and Casino in Santa Fe, New Mexico, PBC announced. The fight was initially scheduled to take place back on August 12, but Perrella had a thumb injury and was not cleared to fight. Ugas, who was a 2008 Olympic bronze medalist from Cuba now based in Las Vegas, instead defeated late replacement Jamal James (20-1, 9 KO), handing him his first loss by decision.
* Miguel Cotto Promotions announced the signing of two more fighters from Puerto Rico, amateur standout Joshuanthony “Kiko” Ortiz, Puerto Rico’s former 123-pound national champion who was 185-15 as an amateur, and featherweight Edgardo Laboy (10-0, 7 KOs). Ortiz’s pro debut is scheduled for September 10 in Comerio, Puerto Rico, and Laboy’s next fight will take place November 12 in Aibonito, Puerto Rico.
* On August 25, the Connecticut Boxing Hall of Fame announced the six-person Class of 2016. They will be inducted during the 12th annual induction dinner November 4 the at Mohegan Sun resort in Uncasville, Connecticut. The inductees are the following:
1. Stamford, Connecticut amateur coach and boxer Orlando Montalvo (4-13).
2. Former longtime ESPN boxing programmer and historian Bob Yalen.
3. Wallingford, Connecticut boxer Sean Malone Jr (23-6, 1 NC, 21 KO).
4. Former junior welterweight contender Ray Oliveira (47-11-2, 22 KO) of New Bedford, Connecticut.
5. Waterbury, Connecticut judge John Lawson.
6. Kenny Reels, who was appointed Mashantucket Pequot Game & Athletic commissioner in 2009 to oversee combat sports at the Foxwoods Resort.