Floyd Mayweather is not one to back down on talking trash, but in an interview with Showtime, he praised potential opponent Conor McGregor.
McGregor appeared on Showtime’s televised boxing card on February 24 and said any issues McGregor may face going from MMA to boxing against Mayweather are minimal because of his impressive stand-up game in UFC. Mayweather also said that fighting with MMA gloves is not that different from fighting with actual boxing gloves.
“Every time Conor McGregor goes out there and compete and wins, he does it standing up,” Mayweather said. “When he did lose [against Nate Diaz], he lost on the ground. He didn’t lose standing up. So he’s a hell of fighter and a tough competitor and he has the will to win. UFC gloves are not that different from boxing gloves, they’re just a little bit smaller. If a guy got power, then he got power. Conor McGregor got power.”
One of the biggest roadblocks in securing a fight with McGregor has been the financials of the bout itself. Several numbers have been thrown around in terms of what it will take the undefeated former pound-for-pound king to come out of retirement. UFC President Dana White even offered $25 million each for McGregor and Mayweather to take the fight.
The real magic number for Mayweather’s side is $100 million and while he did not confirm nor deny that figure, he did say that he has a number in mind and it's just a matter of McGregor and UFC management sorting out the logistics from their side for a fight to happen.
“Well we don’t have to discuss about that,” Mayweather said. “My number is there. [Conor McGregor] has to get his thing in order with his team. Once Conor McGregor speaks with the UFC and his bosses, then we can make it happen. Let’s make the fight happen. There’s only one fight that’s important to me and that’s Mayweather and Conor McGregor.”
McGregor is enjoying some time off preparing for the birth of his first child in a few months. McGregor is the current UFC Lightweight Champion after defeating Eddie Alvarez last year, and has not fought since.
The interview can be seen at this link.