Gary "Spike" O'Sullivan looked like he would get his chance to fight Gennady Golovkin on May 5, but after rejecting the offer to fight for the unified middleweight championship, O'Sullivan explains why.
In an interview with "At The Fights," O'Sullivan said that a deal had been originally reached for the two to fight on May 5. O'Sullivan said after reaching a deal, the money offered to him kept decreasing to the point where O'Sullivan was no longer interested in taking the fight.
“Money-wise it’s not on PPV and the fight’s not worth the money that it should be. They dragged it out for over a week and we got nothing official. And the money kept on diminishing as well. They made an initial offer I agreed to then they came back with half of that," the middleweight contender said.
After Canelo Alvarez withdrew from a planned rematch against Golovkin on May 5 at the T-Mobile Arena, Golovkin and his team scrambled to try and find an opponent. O'Sullivan, who for several weeks have said that he had already signed a deal to be Alvarez's opponent after May 5, emerged as one of the leading candidates to fight Golovkin on May 5. As of this writing, Golovkin is still trying to look for an opponent for a May 5 fight for Golovkin's WBA "super," WBC, IBO and IBF middleweight titles after unbeaten prospect Jaime Munguia was not approved by the Nevada State Athletic Commission to fight Golovkin.
"At The Fights" can be listened to live on SiriusXM RUSH 93 Mondays and Fridays from 6-8 p.m. EST. O'Sullivan's comments can be heard at this link.