The first two fights between Canelo Alvarez and Gennady Golovkin were critical and commercial successes for HBO and with both fighters competing on DAZN, the prospects of seeing a trilogy fight certainly seem good.
During the introductory press conference announcing Golovkin signing with DAZN, Golovkin talked about wanting to face off against Alvarez later this year. Golovkin fell short in both fights, fighting Alvarez to a draw in the first fight and losing a majority decision in the rematch last year.
“Of course it was important for me. Right we want to have the most important fights in boxing, many important fights. That’s what I want to do right now," Golovkin said.
DAZN Group Executive Chairman John Skipper, who was instrumental in signing Golovkin to the streaming platform, chimed in on the possibility of a third fight between the two middleweight stars. Skipper said such a fight would be one the boxing community wants to see, but he can't look that far ahead as Alvarez is set to face off against IBF champion Daniel Jacobs this spring.
“Our intentions is to bring fans the best fights and the fights they most want to see. A third fight between Gennady and Canelo is what fans want to see. We’re focused right now on May 4 with Canelo and Daniel Jacobs. Jacobs happens to be a DAZN fighter and we’re focused on the fight Gennady will have in June, which we also expect to be a difficult fight. He’s only interested in fighting appropriate opponents. So we’re going to focus on those fights and see what happens," Skipper said.
The fight between Alvarez and Jacobs is scheduled for May 4 at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas where the winner will become the unified WBA "Super," WBC and IBF middleweight champion. As for Golovkin, his first fight with the platform is expected to take place in June against an opponent to be announced at a later date. The full press conference can be seen in the video at the top of the page.
- From The Web