Jamie McDonnell vs. Liborio Solis Rematch To Go To Purse Bid

Despite Jamie McDonnell and Liborio Solis agreeing to a rematch, both sides weren't able to secure a date yet and so, the WBA is ordering a purse bid.

The WBA was going to order a purse bid several weeks ago, but McDonnell, the WBA "regular" bantamweight champion, and Solis said they have come to terms for their mandatory rematch. The governing body cancelled the purse bid then, but because the details of the fight have not been revealed, the WBA had no choice but to order another purse bid scheduled for August 21.

Charles Oliveira vs Michael Chandler: MMA Media Picks | UFC 262

The purse bid will take place at the WBA offices in Panama City, Panama with the minimum bid being $120,000. As the champion, McDonnell is entitled to 75 percent of the winning bid and Solis gets the remaining 25 percent since he is the challenger.

The first meeting between the two was in November 12, 2016 in Monte Carlo. McDonnell retained his belt for the fifth time, winning a unanimous decision by scores of 117-111, 116-112 and 115-113. It ended up being a very controversial result and Solis appealed to the WBA, which ordered a rematch. Neither fighter has fought since that fight.

McDonnell won the title when he beat Tabtimdaeng Na Rachawat back in 2014. Solis, a two-time bantamweight title challenger, is also a former super flyweight world champion.

Get exclusive combat sports content on Fightful Select, our premium news service! Click here to learn more.
From The Web