Jessie Magdaleno is eager for a rematch against WBO super bantamweight champion Isaac Dogboe and that journey starts with a contract extension with Top Rank.
The former world champion signed an extension on his current deal with Top Rank according to Top Rank president Todd duBoef when he spoke to ESPN. The extension comes before the original deal between Magdaleno and Top Rank expired and duBoef said he expects Magdaleno to keep bringing more exciting fights en route to another title opportunity.
"Jessie has consistently been in thrilling contests, including against Nonito Donaire and Isaac Dogboe. His style makes him must-watch TV," duBoef said. "We believe that there are many compelling matches that will excite the fans as he looks to secure another title shot."
At the moment, there is no official announcement as for his return to the ring, but it is expected to take place on September 28 when Top Rank has a boxing card in California to be streamed on ESPN+. That card will be headlined by Jerwin Ancajas defending his IBF super flyweight title against Alejandro Santiago.
Magdaleno, currently ranked No. 7 in the WBO at 122 pounds, will now be trained by Ismael Salas after being previously trained by Manny Robles. Magdaleno won the title back in 2016 with a unanimous decision win over Nonito Donaire. The 26-year-old Magdaleno made only one successful defense, a knockout win over Adeilson Dos Santos in April 2017, before losing his title to Dogboe earlier this year on an ESPN card in Philadelphia.