Juan Francisco Estrada Fully Moves On From Flyweight, Vacates World Title

After Juan Francisco Estrada relinquished his WBA flyweight title last week, there was speculation about whether or not he would give up his WBO title and move up in weight. Estrada did just that recently.

According to WBO general secretary Jose Izquierdo II, Estrada said that he couldn't keep fighting at flyweight. 

Khamzat Chimaev's Brother Details UFC Prospects Battle With COVID

"Estrada formally vacated his WBO title on Sept. 13, citing that he could no longer make weight," Izquierdo told ESPN.com.

Estrada had been the flyweight division's best boxer in the last few years, holding the 2 world titles since 2013. He had lost just one fight since 2011 and that was against pound-for-pound king Roman "Chocolatito" Gonzalez.

The 26-year-old had rehabbied from hand surgery last year. He is set to return to the ring against Raymond Tabugon in a scheduled 10-round fight at Francisco Leon Garcia Stadium in Puerto Penasco, Mexico on October 8. This fight will be contested in the junior bantamweight division, only the second time that Estrada has fought in that weight class. It's also worth noting that Gonzalez is also the WBC junior bantamweight (super flyweight) champion, and Estrada is thinking about a possible rematch.

"I will win and analyze with my team and my promoter Zanfer possible fights against Chocolatito, Naoya Inoue and [Luis] 'Nica' Conception," Estrada said. "I'm looking for big fights."

It is now the third weight class that Estrada has fought in his professional career, which started in 2008.

 

Get exclusive combat sports content on Fightful Select, our premium news service! Click here to learn more.
From The Web