It appears that Luis Ortiz and Dillian Whyte are headed for a clash between two of boxing's best heavyweight contenders.
Whyte was planned to headline a boxing card in the United Kingdom on December 22 against an opponent to be named later. Whyte previously stated that he wanted to fight Ortiz, a former world title challenger.
Though there have been rumors of Ortiz being included in the pay-per-card headlined by Deontay Wilder vs. Tyson Fury on December 1, undercard information has yet to be revealed. Ortiz now said in an interview with BoxingScene.com that he has accepted a fight against Whyte and is awaiting the fight contract to be sent to him.
“After much thought and consideration I accept your challenge. If you won’t come down to USA then I’ll step off the Wilder-Fury card and fly over to the UK and fight you in your own backyard,” Ortiz said. "Send over the contract and I’m there. Now you’ve got yourself a real problem son."
Ortiz has been trying to get a heavyweight title fight since he was stopped by Wilder when the Cuban challenged for the WBC heavyweight title back in March. Ortiz was on the brink of stopping Wilder himself before ultimately losing the fight. Since then, Ortiz has only fought once, a quick knockout victory over Razvan Cojanu in late July on the undercard of Mikey Garcia's victory over Robert Easter Jr.
Since being knocked out by Anthony Joshua back in 2015, Whyte has been on an eight-fight win streak, picking up victories over Lucas Browne, Dereck Chisora and most notably and recently, Joseph Parker back in July. Whyte currently holds the WBC Silver and WBO International heavyweight titles.