Luis Ortiz could be coming to the United Kingdom in the near future.
It had been rumored that Ortiz, a former WBC heavyweight title challenger, would be fighting in the UK later this year against Dillian Whyte, but now it is unlikely the fight is happening. That won't stop Ortiz from potentially coming to the region as his manager Jay Jimenez revealed to BoxingScene.com that he is negotiating a deal with Matchroom Boxing's Eddie Hearn.
"Eddie and I are working on maybe doing a big money three fight deal for Luis Ortiz so it looks likely to happen soon. Eddie could make Luis a big star in the UK," Jimenez said.
Ortiz's fight future is currently unclear and there is a possibility that he fights on the undercard of the December 1 Showtime pay-per-view. In that main event, Deontay Wilder will defend his WBC title against Tyson Fury. Ortiz previously told Whyte that he accepts the British heavyweight's challenge to come to the United Kingdom on December 22. But Whyte would then say that Ortiz priced himself out of the fight and so, Whyte will likely now have a rematch with Dereck Chisora.
The 39-year-old Ortiz has fought twice this year. The first fight was against Wilder in March when Ortiz nearly stopped the WBC champion before Ortiz got stopped himself. Ortiz wasn't out of action for too long as he returned in July on the undercard of Mikey Garcia's lightweight unification win over Robert Easter Jr. On that July return, Ortiz knocked out Razvan Cojanu in the second round of their bout.