Eric Gomez: We've Reserved MSG For Canelo Alvarez's Next Fight

Canelo Alvarez has his hands full with Gennady Golovkin on September 15, but that hasn't stopped Golden Boy Promotions, the company that promotes Alvarez, is already thinking of his next fight.

Golden Boy Promotions President Eric Gomez recently told FIGHT SPORTS that the company is already planning to have Alvarez fight in Madison Square Garden on December 15, exactly three months after Alvarez's rematch against Golovkin.

ONE On TNT 2: Lee vs. Nastyukhin Video Replay, Results & Highlights

“We’ve reserved MSG on December 15th for Canelo,” Gomez said.

Although Alvarez had never fought at Madison Square Garden as a pro fight, the venue had been under consideration to be the host for both the first fight between him and Golovkin and for the planned May 5 rematch before it got scrapped. In both instances, the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas was selected to host the fight.

No opponent has been mentioned for Alvarez's potential December 15 fight date, there are a number of options available. Two such options are Gary "Spike" O'Sullivan and former middleweight world champion David Lemieux, both of whom are also promoted by Golden Boy Promotions and scheduled to fight each other on the pay-per-view card headlined by the Mexican superstar live from Las Vegas.

The September 15 rematch will also take place at the T-Mobile Arena and Fightful will have live coverage of the event, headlined by Canelo vs. GGG 2 for Golovkin's WBA and WBC middleweight as well as The Ring Magazine middleweight titles. Fightful will also have a live podcast after the main event on Fightful.com.

Get exclusive combat sports content on Fightful Select, our premium news service! Click here to learn more.
From The Web