In a super featherweight division filled to the brim with numerous top champions and several more world title contenders, Francisco Vargas' options to the world championship are aplenty.
The WBC had previously ordered Vargas to fight Eduardo "Rocky" Hernandez in a title eliminator, but now Vargas told ESPN Deportes that he has another big fight waiting in the wings.
"We are waiting what they offer us, what offers are out there. I have a path to two interesting fights: an eliminator with 'Rocky' Hernandez and a (WBA world) title fight with Alberto Machado, both of whom would be a great fight. On one side, you got Mexico vs. Puerto Rico (Vargas vs. Machado) and on the side, you have a duel between Mexicans (Vargas vs. Hernandez) and it would be something very attractive. We're going to wait on what we get offered and then decide what it is that is more convenient for us," Vargas said in Spanish.
It's interesting to note that Vargas claims he has a potential fight against Machado, despite Machado currently being scheduled defend his title on October 27 against Yuandale Evans. If Machado were to lose the title on October 27, then the deal against Vargas is not happening.
Should Vargas accept the WBC title eliminator against Hernandez, the winner of such an eliminator would obviously not get their title fight until 2019. The current champion, Miguel Berchelt, is defending the title against Miguel Roman in November on a fight card streamed on ESPN+.
Vargas has won two straight fights dating back to last December since losing his WBC title to Berchelt in January 2017. The 33-year-old Vargas won the WBC title in 2015, but only successfully defended the belt once before losing it.