Jaime Munguia’s middleweight debut was a success, even if he had a little bit of trouble putting Gary “Spike” O’Sullivan away.
The towel was thrown from O’Sullivan’s corner in the 11th round as Munguia had been landing a series of furious punches with O’Sullivan in the corner and the win was awarded to Munguia. In the main event of a DAZN card from San Antonio, both Munguia and O’Sullivan engaged in an entertaining scrap that saw both fighters land big shots, but it was Munguia who started to take charge late in the fight takes to several combinations.
This was Munguia’s middleweight debut after holding the WBO junior middleweight title since May 2018. Munguia moved up in weight as he was starting to have trouble making weight at 154 pounds and also hoped to secure a fight against one of DAZN’s top middleweights. DAZN currently has the likes of Canelo Alvarez, Gennadiy Golovkin and Demetrius Andrade, all middleweight titleholders.
The co-main event bout saw Alejandra Jimenez score a split decision against Franchon Crews-Dezurn to win the WBC and WBO Female super middleweight titles. Jimenez became the first boxer in history to have won a heavyweight world title and then go all the way down to super middleweight to win a title. Two judges had Jimenez winning with scores of 97-93 and 98-92 while one judge had Crews-Dezurn winning 97-93.
Here are the full Golden Boy Promotions on DAZN results (1/11) from San Antonio:
- Jaime Munguia defeated Gary O'Sullivan by TKO, round 11
- Alejandra Jimenez defeated Franchon Crews-Dezurn by split decision (97-93, 93-97, 98-92) to win the WBC and WBO Female super middleweight titles
- Travell Mazion defeated Fernando Castaneda by KO, 1 to win the NABF Jr. junior middleweight title
- Hector Tanajara defeated Juan Carlos Burgos by unanimous decision (97-92, 97-92, 99-91) to win the WBC USNBC lightweight
- Joshua Franco defeated Joe Alejandro Burgos by TKO, round 9
- Hector Valdez defeated Luis Alberto Rios by TKO, round 3
- James Wilkins defeated James Early by unanimous decision
- George Rinco defeated Diego Vicente Perez TKO, round 1
- Tristan Kalkreuth defeated Blake LaCaze by KO, round 1