The WBC's welterweight title situation could be coming to a conclusion soon and the governing body already has a world title eliminator in mind.
WBC President Mauricio Sulaiman spoke with ESPN Deportes and said that the negotiations vacant WBC welterweight title fight between former champions Shawn Porter and Danny Garcia has been going well and may not come to a purse bid, tentatively scheduled for May 25. Sulaiman also revealed that the WBC will order a title eliminator between former world champions Jessie Vargas and Adrien Broner, who recently fought to a draw on a Showtime boxing card last April.
"We have the purse bid scheduled for May 25, but it appears that negotiations have advanced well and we hope that they notify us soon [when a fight deal is made]. Aside from that, we are going to order a rematch between Jessie Vargas and Adrien Broner because it was a questionable draw," Sulaiman said.
Porter and Garcia were recently ordered by the WBC to fight for the vacant title with the advent of Keith Thurman vacating his title. Porter and Garcia were both mandatory challengers when Thurman held the title and were previously going to fight for an interim title while Thurman recovered from elbow surgery.
Vargas, the WBC’s No. 3 welterweight, and Broner, the WBC’s No. 4 junior welterweight, recently headlined the April 21 Showtime Championship Boxing card at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York. The fight, which ultimately ended in a majority draw, was not a title eliminator for any weight class and was recently contested at a 144-pound catchweight.