Well it didn't take long for Orlando Salido to unretire.
The former world champion said he was retiring after losing to Miguel Roman on HBO on December 9, but has now said his retirement decision was made in the heat of the moment. ESPN reports that Salido is not in fact retiring and is now looking at fights to take at both 130 and 135 pounds for next year.
"I felt that I left my fight at the scale... While I am happy with the fight that I gave the fans, I truly believe that I can do better, so I am keeping my options open to returning in 2018 at 130 or 135 pounds. Sometime after a fight and in the heat of the moment, things are said that, upon reflection, are not the correct things to say. I want to get back into the ring to give my fans some more thrills as I believe I still have some good boxing left," Salido said.
Salido's exhilarating battle with Roman saw Salido get knocked down three times in the fight and lose via ninth-round stoppage. The fight, originally scheduled to be for the interim WBC junior lightweight title, was a junior lightweight title eliminator with the winner facing WBC champion Miguel Berchelt sometime in 2018, potentially in Mexico.
The 37-year-old Salido has been boxing professionally since 1996 and is a former WBO and IBF featherweight champion, owning notable wins over Cristobal Cruz twice, Juan Manuel Lopez twice, Robinson Castellanos and Vasyl Lomachenko. Salido and Lomachenko were briefly negotiating a rematch earlier this year, but the fight fell through.