It's been almost a decade since Oscar De La Hoya last fought in a pro boxing ring, but that doesn't mean that he'll stay out of the ring.
De La Hoya spoke to ESPN Deportes and admitted that he's not closing the door on him making a return to the ring, while also throwing a verbal jab at his longtime boxing and promoting rival Floyd Mayweather.
"I'm being serious, I'm still training, but we'll see what will really happen, but I'm still training. Mayweather's saying stuff and it's obvious that he ran away from the rematch. But for me, the most important thing is that I feel good and I'll keep training," De La Hoya said.
The 44-year-old De La Hoya had been fueling rumors he would be coming out of retirement when he said he could beat UFC lightweight champion Conor McGregor. After Sadam Ali's unanimous decision win over Miguel Cotto back on December 2, De La Hoya jokingly told reporters that if he trained for six months, then he could beat McGregor inside two rounds.
Since De La Hoya lost to Manny Pacquiao in 2008, the Mexican superstar has moved over to the promoting part of the business, leading Golden Boy Promotions to be one of the biggest promotion companies in the world. Golden Boy Promotions, who promote Canelo Alvarez, has created working relationships with both HBO and ESPN and Golden Boy fighter David Lemieux is set to challenge for the WBO middleweight championship on December 16 on HBO.