Former cruiserweight world title challenger Ovill McKenzie announced his retirement from the sport of boxing.
McKenzie said he is suffering from a heart condition and was advised to step down from the sport. He had not fought since 2015.
"It is with great sadness that I announce that I am retiring from boxing," McKenzie said. "I have been diagnosed with a heart condition. I can no longer pursue my dream of being a world champion. I would like to take this time to thank everyone from my team to the fans. As disappointed as I am about the situation, it has been a great pleasure getting to perform for you all and I have to keep my chin up!"
McKenzie struggled at times throughout his career competing as a light heavyweight, compiling a 21-12 record. He then moved in weight to the cruiserweight division in 2014 when he won his first four fights and was given a chance to compete for a world title against Victor Emilio Ramirez but the fight ended in a split decision draw.
McKenzie was supposed to compete for the IBO cruiserweight title against Marco Huck in September, but withdrew due to health problems and Huck will now face Dmytro Kucher on November 19.
The 36-year-old McKenzie had been fighting as a professional since 2003 and won numerous regional titles at cruiserweight and at light heavyweight.
- From The Web