Former two division champion Conor McGregor recently hinted in an Instagram post that he was supposed to fight last month at UFC 224. While no opponent was confirmed, a report from Ariel Helwani of MMA Fighting said former UFC Lightweight Champion Rafael Dos Anjos was set to be that foe.
Dos Anjos has now heard about his alleged UFC 224 bout and the Brazilian says there was never any talks about fighting McGregor at the event.
“Not at all,” Dos Anjos said at a UFC 225 media scrum. “They did not contact me to talk about that fight. I think, probably, they was planning to do a surprise on that press conference, you know? Even for me, it would be a surprise for me. But they never contacted me to talk about that fight.”
McGregor and Dos Anjos were supposed to meet once before at UFC 196, but Dos Anjos suffered an injury and the bout never came to fruition.
The Brazilian is interested in a bout with McGregor, but he would like it to take place on the welterweight division.
“Yea, 170 pounds? Of course. Not ‘55,” says Dos Anjos.
Dos Anjos competed last Saturday at UFC 224 for the UFC interim Welterweight title.