Report: Charges Reduced In Conor McGregor Cellphone Smashing Incident

MMA

Former two division UFC champion Conor McGregor was arrested last month for allegedly taking a cellphone from a person’s possession outside of a hotel and then smashing it on the ground.

Prosecutors in the case, after reviewing said case, have decided to reduce two of the charges levied against the UFC star.

UFC 263 Results: Two Title Fights, Plus Leon Edwards vs. Nate Diaz

“After reviewing the facts of the incident, the prosecutor realized that there wasn’t enough evidence to support the original felony charges,” former assistant U.S. Attorney David S. Weinstein told USA Today Sports.

The fighter had one felony charge lowered a degree and the other was converted to a misdemeanor.

Weinstein says that if McGregor is convicted on any of the charges levied against him, it could lead to immigration issues.

“Like his other arrest, his biggest problem is the effect that a conviction will have on his immigration status,” Weinstein said. “A conviction for this offense qualifies as an aggravated felony. It remains a privilege to enter the U.S. and not a right. So if there is a conviction, that will allow U.S. immigration authorities to prevent him from entering the U.S. on a visitor or work visa.”

While some of the charges against McGregor have been reduced, an arraignment hearing for the fighter is still scheduled for April 10.

Get exclusive combat sports content on Fightful Select, our premium news service! Click here to learn more.
From The Web