Report: Richard Commey Out for Six Weeks, No Longer Fighting Vasiliy Lomachenko In April

Just when it seemed that Richard Commey would be in the clear to fight Vasiliy Lomachenko in April, a report from Boxing Talk says that is no longer the case.

Boxing Talk reports that Commey is going to be out for six weeks, leaving him unable to prepare for a lightweight unification bout against Lomachenko on April 12 in Los Angeles. The fight was supposed to headline a Top Rank Boxing card on ESPN+. Promoter Lou DiBella said Commey hhad an MRI and it revealed he has a floating tendon.

UFC 264 Dustin Poirier vs. Conor McGregor Trilogy Promo Released

The injury occurred during Commey's fight against Isa Chaniev on February 2. Commey won the IBF lightweight title after stopping him in the second round and it was believed that Commey would fight Lomachenko next to unify the WBA, WBO and IBF titles. DiBella added that he will meet with Top Rank in the hopes of rescheduling the fight at a later date.

With Lomachenko not having an opponent, the WBA could potentially order him to immediately resume negotiations with mandatory challenger Anthony Crolla. The WBA previously set a date for a purse bid for Lomachenko vs. Crollla, but the governing body later gave an exception for Lomachenko to unify with Commey in April. 

Lomachenko, one of boxing's top pound-for-pound stars, has not fought since defeating Jose Pedraza to unify the WBA and WBO titles at Madison Square Garden last December.

Get exclusive combat sports content on Fightful Select, our premium news service! Click here to learn more.
From The Web