Prior to his rematch against Tony Harrison, Jermell Charlo promised he would win back the WBC junior middleweight title without the need for the judges to decide the outcome.
Charlo did just that, dropping Harrison multiple times en route to an 11th round TKO victory to win the WBC title in the main event of a PBC on FOX card from Ontario, California. After Charlo scored two knockdowns in the 11th round, a flurry of punches forced referee Jack Reiss to step in and stop the action.
Early on, Charlo went straight for the KO blow, throwing wild punches and being overly aggressive. It did result in Charlo hitting a quick left hook, followed by a right hand to knock Harrison down in the second round. Harrison recovered and was able to outbox Charlo for several rounds and even traded with the new champion on the inside.
By Harrison's own admission after the fight, he started to relax a little bit and Charlo was able to take advantage. Charlo opened the 11th round with a right hand that sent Harrison to the canvas and after he got back up, a furious sequence of punches eventually sent Harrison back down again, leading to the stoppage.
This was a rematch from their December 2018 fight which saw Harrison score an upset victory over Charlo on the scorecards to win the WBC title. They were supposed to have a rematch earlier this year, but Harrison suffered an injury that forced the bout to be postponed.
Below are the official results for the December 21 PBC on FOX card from Ontario, California as well as undercard results:
- Jermell Charlo defeated Tony Harrison by KO, round 11, 2:28 to win the WBC junior middleweight title
- Efe Ajagba defeated Iago Kiladze by KO, round 5, 2:09
- Rene Tellez Giron defeated Karlos Balderas by KO, round 6, 2:59
- Oscar Escandon defeated Jhack Tepora by KO, round 1, 1:30
- Hugo Centeno Jr. and Juan Macias Montiel fight to a split draw (97-93, 95-95, 94-96)
- Andre Dirrell defeated Juan Ubaldo Cabrera by KO, round 5, 1:36
- Adrian Taylor defeated German Perez by unanimous decision (60-54, 60-54, 60-54)
- Yovani Rodarte defeated Eduardo Rafael Reyes by majority draw (58-56, 57-57, 58-56)
- Jerry Perez defeated Tyrone Luckey by KO, round 1, 2:18
- Justin Cardona defeated Archie Weah by unanimous decision (40-36, 40-36, 40-36)
- Eimantas Stanionis defeated Julio Cesar Sanchez by KO, round 3, 2:05
- Petr Khamukov defeated Maceo Crowder by RTD, round 2, 3:00
- Jose Balderas defeated Nestor Ramos by RTD, round 3, 3:00
- Anthony Flagg defeated Jamarcus Warren by KO, round 3, 1:16
- Raymond Guajardo defeated Donnis Reed by KO, round 1, 1:40