It's been months since Ryan Burnett's freak injury cost him his WBA bantamweight title against Nonito Donaire, but he has made a triumphant return to the ring in front of his hometown fans.
In the main event of an MTK Global card from Belfast, Northern Ireland, Burnett stopped Jeibert Gomera in the sixth round in a super bantamweight bout. This was Burnett's first fight since tearing his right oblique muscle during the World Boxing Super Series bantamweight tournament last year against Nonito Donaire. With Burnett unable to resume fighting, he not only lost the fight but his bantamweight title to Donaire and Burnett had been working to rehab his injury and return to the ring.
This was Burnett's first stoppage win since a second-round TKO win over Robert Kanalas all the way back in 2015. With the win against Gomera, Burnett's record improves to 20-1 with 10 wins coming from inside the distance.
Fightful has you covered with the results of every fight from the card, which was streamed in the United States on ESPN+.
Below are quick results from the May 17 MTK Global card from Ulster Hall in Belfast, Northern Ireland:
- Ryan Burnett defeated Jelbirt Gomera by TKO, round 2:01
- Marco McCullough defeated Declan Geraghty by TKO, round 3, 2:23 to win the IBF European Super Featherweight Title
- Sean McComb defeated Miroslav Serban by TKO, round 1, 1:24
- Lewis Crocker defeated Jumanne Camero by points (60-55)
- Padraig McCrory defeated Eric Nwankwo by points (60-54)
- Steven Donnelly defeated Edwin Palacios by KO, round 4, 1:18
- Sean Gerard Duffy defeated Antonio Horvatic by TKO, round 2, 0:47
- Callum Bradley defeated Rafael Castillo by PTS (40-36)
- Dee Sullivan defeated Pawel Strykowski by points (40-36)