August 10 was supposed to be the start of a potentially big push from Top Rank for two-time Olympic gold medalist Robeisy Ramirez, but it ended in complete disaster.
Ramirez's pro debut took place on the main card of the August 10 Top Rank on ESPN+ from Philadelphia, taking on Adan Gonzales. Ramirez already faced trouble in the first round when he got dropped by a left hook from Gonzales. Though the Cuban amateur standout got back up on tried to fight back, he was unable to do enough to win the fight on the scorecards.
As such, Ramirez lost the fight by split decision (39-36, 37-38, 40-35). Of course, this doesn't spell the end for Ramirez's chances of becoming a successful pro boxer as the likes of Bernard Hopkins, Rafael Marquez, Juan Manuel Marquez, Tevin Farmer and more ended up losing their pro debut but still went on to win world titles.
The main event of the card saw Jason Sosa dominate Haskell Lydell Rhodes, stopping him in the seventh round after scoring three knockdowns. The fight was set to be on the main card but not as the main event. Originally, Carl Frampton's in-ring return was set to headline the show, but he suffered an injury days before that forced him to withdraw.
Below are the full results of the August 10 Top Rank on ESPN+ card from the Liacouras Center in Philadelphia:
- Jason Sosa defeated Haskell Lydell Rhodes by TKO, round 7, 1:08
- Adan Gonzales defeated Robeisy Ramirez by split decision (39-36, 37-38, 40-35)
- Edgar Berlanga defeated Gregory Trenel by TKO, round 1, 2:24
- Donald Smith defeated Abdur-Raheem Abdullah by unanimous decision (59-53, 60-52, 59-53)
- Paul Kroll defeated Shinard Bunch by unanimous decision (58-56, 59-55, 58-56)
- Sonny Conto defeated Guillermo Del Rio by unanimous decision (40-35, 40-35, 40-35)
- Jeremy Adorno defeated Fernando Robles by KO, round 3, 2:01